3 Committee Hearings on Cannabis & 11 Pieces of Legislation on Texas Lawmakers Agenda This Week
The cannabis industry is making big strides in Texas, as legislators try to pave the way for another booming industry to begin operating inside the Texas borders. This Monday, a number of bills were being heard by lawmakers, in at least 3 different committee hearings on most major issues plaguing the cannabis industry, including decriminalization issues, hemp regulation issues, and a bill on legalizing marijuana was being heard this Monday.
Committees hearing cannabis legislation items include the House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee, the House Agriculture and Livestock Committee, and the House Judiciary and Civil Jurisprudence Committee were all recorded as hearing bills on cannabis industry items on Monday. Here is a breakdown & summary of the bills with links to their information via the Texas Legislature Online.
The House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee Hears 5 Bills on Decriminalization Issues
The House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee heard the following bills, including a constitutional amendment aimed at legalizing & regulating marijuana sales. Here is the breakdown of the bills:
- HJR 108: Proposing a constitutional amendment to authorize and regulate the possession, cultivation, and sale of cannabis.
- HB 0335: Relating to the penalties for possession of one ounce or less of marijuana and eligibility for placement on community supervision or on deferred adjudication community supervision for that offense.
- HB 371: Relating to the prosecution of and penalties for possession of one ounce or less of marijuana.
- HB 753: Relating to the prosecution of and penalties for possession of 0.35 ounces or less of marijuana.
- HB 1206: Relating to the prosecution of and penalties for possession of marijuana.
- HB 2518: Relating to the penalties for the possession of two ounces or less of marijuana.
Texas House Agriculture and Livestock Committee Hears 4 Hemp Bills
Up for the Texas House Agriculture and Livestock Committee were 4 agenda items related to the cannabis industry. They are as followed as found on the Texas Legislature Online portal.
- HB 989: Relating to industrial hemp; requiring an occupational license; authorizing fees.
- HB 1230: Relating to the production and regulation of hemp.
- HB 1325: Relating to the production and regulation of hemp and products made from hemp; requiring authorization to produce hemp; authorizing penalties; authorizing fees.
- HB 1657: Relating to the production and regulation of hemp.
Texas House Judiciary and Civil Jurisprudence Committee Hears Decriminalization Bill
Then the House Judiciary and Civil Jurisprudence Committee had just one item pertaining to cannabis laws. It was as followed.
- HB 1196: Relating to changing statutory references to marijuana to cannabis.
The office of the Texas Governor Jim Abbott has said that they are open to certain forms of decriminalization of marijuana. While it is uncertain how many of the bills will make it to a vote, and how intact they will be from their original form if they make it to a vote. However, it seems as if many of the proposals are looking better than expected in a traditionally conservative state like Texas.
While it may seem like an April Fool’s joke that Texas has so many pieces of cannabis legislation on the agenda for April 1, 2019, but it’s no joke. Cannabis activists and lobby groups are calling the legislation conservative to other states facing similar pieces of legislation, so it is looking more and more likely that Texas is heading in a more pro-cannabis direction.
Remember these are just committee meetings and all the legislation will still have to make it to a vote, but it’s looking a lot better for Texas cannabis advocates and users. Stay tuned to Disciple 420 for more breaking news on cannabis issues in the state of Texas and around the country. Be sure to check out our latest posts and follow us on Twitter.
- Texas Legislature Online – https://capitol.texas.gov/
- Marijuana Moment – https://www.marijuanamoment.net/texas-lawmakers-hold-hearings-on-11-cannabis-bills-in-one-day/
- DallasNews.com – https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas-legislature/2019/04/01/watch-follow-live-texas-lawmakers-debates-hemp-marijuana-bills
Latest Disciple 420 Posts
- Top 10 Most Popular Stoner Hobbies
- Disciple 420 Launches New YouTube Series
- Illinois Becomes 11th State To Legalize Marijuana
- Colorado Hemp Honey Brand CBD Coffee Review
- Cannabis Legalization Being Held Hostage By Special Interest in Illinois